A little bit of play...

Leave a Comment

Over the past few weeks I've gained ALOT of spare time, so I decided to go out and experiment with some different photography techniques. Pretty little things I hadn't tried before.

I've spent so long doing photography as my job, mainly portraits and weddings, and although I absolutely adore what I do, it's been a bumpy old ride and I began to forget what it was about photography that I fell in love with in the first place.



For me, photography is about play. Play with the light, play with the subject, the settings, location, colours, height, everything! So when I heard about free-lensing a wee spark started flickering and I instantly wanted to give it a go.

So what is free-lensing I hear you cry. Well it's a nifty little technique that involves shooting with your lens detached from the camera and held really close. This basically gives you the ability to create a tilt-shift effect in your photos, by erm... tilting and shifting the lens. It's not the easiest technique to get the hang of, especially if like me you have a huge camera (Canon 1d) and tiny baby hands. It's quite fiddly and it takes practice. With a LOT of this practice stuff you can even learn how to focus selectively on one thing with everything else beautifully blurry. Don't be discouraged if it takes you a while to get the desired effect, trail and error will sometimes through some of the most beautiful mistakes in your way.

Here's a couple from yesterday,

One of the greatest things about free-lensing is the beautiful light leaks and obscure vignetting you can achieve it's almost impossible to get the same leaks twice. I love the dreamy effect it gives these images. With my favourite of all being the bottom image. 

Have any of you tried free-lensing? Do you think you'll give it a go after reading this? I'd love to read about your experiences with it. 

                                                     Toodaloo,





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.